Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Gay Gym Teacher Fired By Catholic School for Being Homosexual Fights Back, but Without Her Union’s Help


Carla Hale who was terminated from her job as a Gym teacher after it was revealed that she was in a relationship with a woman, is continuing to fight the termination. However, it would seem that the odds are against her. Even her Union,  Central Ohio Association of Catholic Educators, is refusing to take up her cause.  The school terminated her, after her mother’s Obituary revealed that her partner was a woman. Some parents complained that they didn’t send their kids to a private Catholic School to be taught by a Lesbian, and considered that is was “shameful”.
Hale was summoned to a meeting with school administrators after she returned from her mother’s funeral.
At the meeting, she received a copy of her mother’s obituary that she and her brother had written. In addition, administrators gave Hale an anonymous letter from a parent calling the presence of a lesbian teacher at the school disgrace.
Hale was subsequently dismissed from Bishop Watterson Catholic High School after 19 years of service, with the school citing a morality provision in the contract between teachers and the diocese.
Photo Credit: AP
Photo Credit: AP
Here is my take on this matter. Despite the fact that she has given 19 years to this institution and was never found unfit before, the school decided to terminate her, due to a morality clause in her contract with the school. Homosexuality is not in keeping with the teachings of the catholic faith. Private schools must be allowed the freedom of their religion, and be able to make choices about their staff, with regard to their faith. With that said, I am sorry that the school felt compelled to fire this woman.
She has an impeccable teaching record and she has given many years to the school. I find it disappointing that this happened. As far as I know she was not teaching anything about homosexuality. Why she wants to continue working at this specific school I do not understand. She could go to another school, a public school without the stricter hiring requirement. Hell they would probably LOVE to have a Lesbian Gym teacher.  The Government schools love that type of thing.  If I were her I would simply find employment elsewhere.
So even though, I am not sure the school made the right decision, they have the right to do so. I support religious freedom in this country. I believe in a private schools right to choose staff that is keeping with their morality. If a person violates church doctrine and it is a church funded school, this is bound to happen.  I do wonder of course if the school is this strict with all of their members. I wonder if extra-marital affairs are overlooked, or perhaps fornication? I am quite certain that none of us is sin free, and though I do not agree with the homosexual lifestyle, this teacher does not seem much of a threat to me.
religious freedom
I get the parents point. They pay to keep their kids free of the liberal indoctrination that is rampant in public schools now days. I send my children to private school for many reasons.  One is the quality of education is better in the school they go to. They have more hands on learning and a stricter routine, and better athletic programs. I think that a private school has the right to pick and choose their staff according to the teachings of their faith, and to make sure that the parents are getting what they were promised.  We must not infringe on a privately funded school’s rights to hire and fire people according to the teachings of their faith.
I wish Carla Hale luck, and hope she finds a job where she will be better appreciated, and where her lifestyle will be better accepted. Perhaps her choice to teach at a private catholic school was misguided. I would advise Ms. Hale to drop her lawsuit, if even the union isn’t backing you, it is likely because you don’t have a case. You signed the contract with the morality clause in it. Now unfortunately you have to live with the consequences. You violate your contract, you get terminated. That’s just how it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment